January 27, 2010

The Beauty Beyond

Part of the thing I love about photography is showing seemingly ordinary things in a beautiful way. At first, these things that may not seem all that special to the naked eye, but set in a different light, can become something more. And when you couple those photos with a meaningful story, then it can turn into something extraordinarily beautiful.

Last week, I took a picture of a peacock at Mayfield Park. Sure, it's beautiful all its own. But digital files can be kind of flat, and they don't always convey the colors that are really there, or in this case, show the bird's elegant long feathers in the best possible way. I didn't like the picture at first, and almost threw it out in my edits (photographers are supposed to edit ruthlessly, you know)! But at a second glance, I saw potential in this one, and remembered the rush feeling I got when this bird jumped up on the fence and I saw a good frame in which to capture the shot. After a few quick edits, I think I was able to better capture and show the peacock's quiet and beautiful elegance.

Here are a few more things I shot over the past week in which, I think, I was able to see the beauty beyond, IMHO (as my daughters would say). Well, at least I like these pictures anyway! :)

Have a good rest of the week! -- S




This past weekend, I volunteered some time for a charity benefit, a glam session benefiting the women at La Tienda co-op. Here were a few detail shots I took of the wonderful make-up artist's things.



This is a fabric rose that belonged to my mother, that she wore in her hair one night at a party. I have it pinned to a wrought iron dress form I have up in my studio. Makes me feel closer to her to have her things around me. :)

This was also something my mother gave me, and it is deeply personal and dear to me. It's another studio decor item, and sits in front of the dress form on a work table. Nothing really special about where it's placed, but one night I took this shot and edited it for mood in such a way that I thought was really beautiful.