July 04, 2010

Happy Fourth!

It's the Fourth of July today. Normally, I would be spending this day with my Hernandez side of the family at our annual family reunion. This year it was moved to October, when it's not so hot (yay!). Seems kind of weird to have this day go by without them, but I know our reunion will be here before you know it. :) For this holiday, we'll be celebrating with friends soon, with a cookout and lots of kids around the house!

Still, I didn't want the day to go by without recognizing and thanking those members of my family who have served our country. My father, my two uncles, and my father-in-law all served in the various branches of the U.S. military. For them, and to all those who serve to provide our nation's freedom ... have a wonderful Independence Day!

-- S

A friend of mine posted this quote on her facebook wall today. I thought it was so appropriate for the occasion ... just had to re-post (thanks Michelle)!

"May it be to the world, what I believe it will be ... the signal of arousing men to burst the chains ... and to assume the blessings and security of self-government. That form, which we have substituted, restores the free right to the unbounded exercise of reason and freedom of opinion. All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. ... For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them." - Thomas Jeffferson, June 24, 1826




Rafael Hernandez (my dad), United States Army.



Dennis R. Topper (my father-in-law), United States Air Force


Ruben Hernandez (my uncle), United States Navy


Gilbert Olivares (my uncle), United States Navy