October 25, 2010

An Eagle Named Stephen

It is truly an honor. Having seen my nephew recently receive this prestigious honor, I am familiar with how special it is when a young man receives an Eagle Scout award. It is the Boy Scouts of America's highest achievement, and only a small percentage of scouts hold this title. Knowing this, I was so happy to have the chance to photograph Stephen's Eagle Scout ceremony a week ago Sunday.

With my daughters having been in Girl Scouts in their early elementary school years, I know firsthand that while scouting was certainly fun, it took a great deal of dedication and effort to earn merit badges and complete projects. My girls chose to leave scouting in favor of their music, but I always wished we had time to do both. It was so moving to see all of Stephen's scout achievements over the years, so lovingly displayed at his Eagle Scout ceremony. As you'll be able to tell from these pictures, this young man certainly has such an impressive scouting background. It was also so incredibly touching to see many members of his family, especially his mom and dad who were active in scouting along with him, present to share in his special moment. Thanks so much to Stephen's mom, Suzanne, for allowing me the opportunity to capture this wonderful time in these photographs.

Congratulations Stephen! I wish you all the best, and I know that you will continue to make the Boy Scouts of America very proud of you.






Stephen's trophies, badges, awards, certificates were all displayed on a large table. As in LARGE, and there was still very little room for anything else. It was so obvious that this young man has had many accomplishments in scouting!



I happened to be standing behind someone who I realized had to be a proud relative of Stephen's when she brought out this picture of him out of her purse.





Stephen's parents are very active in scouting with him. What a proud moment for them both!





Part of becoming an Eagle Scout is the Eagle Project. The scout must plan, develop and lead a service project that demonstrates both leadership and a commitment to duty. Stephen's project involved a large landscaping endeavor to a school, so we thought it was fitting for us to take some pictures out in the garden area. I especially like this photo of him, not only because it shows him in something wonderful he created, but also because to me it represents the path he has chosen in his life in scouting, and what undoubtedly will be a bright future ahead of him.