January 12, 2011

It's A Fine Mess We're In

Recently, Jon and I and the kids cleaned out our game room. And believe me, it was long overdue. When we moved into our house three years ago, we figured the game room was plenty big for all their crap (oops, I mean ... um, toys.) We had Polly Pockets, Littlest Pet Shop stuff, Leapsters, Legos, Thomas the Train ... you name it. When all their stuff was all over the place, it often felt like every toy company out there had moved inventory into our home. In the last year or so, we realized those things were being neglected, and it was time to haul that stuff out. Now, the game room houses the girls' musical instruments, and it's a nice comfortable music/utility room for the kids. They did a great job cleaning up!

But for all my bragging on my kids, now and in previous posts, I feel I must point out that life is not quite so bliss and perfect in my home. Far from it. See, my kids are well ... a bit messy. Yes, I know, you're shocked and appalled. Seriously. But it's true. Allow me to rant on some things about my kids to which we parents, I'm sure, can all relate.

For as smart as my kids are, they cannot seem to:
  1. pick up towels off the floor
  2. load a dishwasher to save their lives
  3. pick up the couch pillows off the floor
  4. feed the dog without being reminded
  5. empty the trash cans (it's more like a contest who can stack and balance the trash the highest)
  6. likewise to item #5, take trash out of our vehicles
  7. wake up to go to school on time (we're always running out the door at the last minute)
  8. bring down their laundry
  9. turn lights/radio/tv off when not in use; and (this is the biggie I hate the most ...)
  10. remember anything I said just two minutes earlier.
Having said that, my kids also have this AMAZING ability: all of these things can be performed expeditiously and without hesitation if it means a cell phone, a Kindle or a special outing of some kind just ohhhh, suddenly goes ... buh bye. Yeah, I thought you could relate.

My kids are free this weekend. Anyone want to have them over? :)

Have a great evening! -- S


This basket at the bottom of the stairs is supposed to be for all their little stuff that's supposed to go in their rooms. Most often, it ends up with dirty clothes, shoes, towels ... you name it. This "little" mess was created in just mere minutes after school today. Sheesh!


But while the kids could be hanging out at your house this weekend, Sasha and I could be chilling at home. Doesn't that sound nice? :)